The all-new 2021 California Road Trips guide, featuring nine dream drives from Southern California to the Shasta Cascade, is now available to order on Visit California’s website. The 52-page free guide, featuring Kevin Costner on the cover, includes an exclusive interview with the Oscar-winning director and actor.
“As travellers eagerly begin planning trips across the state, this new guide serves as a valuable resource for exploring the state’s vibrant urban cities and iconic attractions, along with awe-inspiring vistas and hidden gems,” Visit California President and CEO Caroline Beteta said. “Kevin Costner is a proud son of California, and he has a passion for the state’s history and natural wonders that make the state the world’s ultimate road trip destination.”
In the guide, the Hollywood legend details his favorite destinations and opens up about his love for the open road. Some of Costner’s earliest memories involve road tripping around the state, staring out the window of the family Buick as they drove to see redwoods and sequoias. In the interview, Costner also discusses his latest venture as the co-founder of HereHear, a mobile app that enriches road trips with recorded snippets of history and storytelling.
The 2021 guide includes everything a traveler needs to embark on an epic adventure. Organised by geography, the publication showcases nine detailed itineraries: Three originate in Southern California, three begin in the San Francisco Bay Area and three start in Sacramento. Each trip calls out hidden gems, scenic overlooks and great places to eat up and down the state.
Road trips starting in Southern California:
- SoCal Trifecta takes travelers on an adventure to coastal cities, an alpine playground and the sun-drenched desert.
- Central Coast Escape features sun-splashed beaches, whitewashed missions and the iconic Hearst Castle.
- San Diego Sojourn showcases breathtaking ocean views and vibrant towns before heading east to reveal otherworldly desert landscapes.
Road trips starting in the San Francisco Bay Area:
- Golden Gate to Big Trees takes travelers from San Francisco to the northwestern corner of the state, on a trip that includes oysters, whale watching opportunities and majestic redwoods.
- Bounty & Beauty explores the fertile Central Valley en route to experiencing three amazing parks including Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks.
- Spectacular Highway 1 showcases key stops along America’s most famous cliff-hugging highway.
Road trips starting in Sacramento:
- Foothills to Tahoe features enchanting Gold Rush towns and North America’s largest alpine lake.
- Northern Grandeur Adventure takes road trippers past a cinematic landscape of wonders in “UpState California.”
- Wine to Waterfalls includes stops in the Napa Valley and Sonoma County, and then winds its way to the jaw-dropping natural beauty of Yosemite National Park.
In addition to the detailed itineraries, the guide also includes tips on how to rent the perfect vehicle to match your trip, and strategies from Alli and Bobby Talley of the Traveling Newlyweds for motorists bringing their dog along for the ride.
The 1 million circulation 2021 California Road Trips guide is available for free at California Welcome Centers and online at VisitCalifornia.com/travel-guides. 600,000 copies of the guide will be included in the August issues of Better Homes & Gardens and Parents, as well as September’s issue of Travel + Leisure.
For more information on planning your next adventure or further road trip inspiration, check out the 50+ Dream Drives available on the California Road Trip Republic hub at VisitCalifornia.com/Road-Trips.