Celebrity Cruises‘ new luxury ship, Celebrity Apex, kicked off its inaugural Caribbean season, setting sail from Ft. Lauderdale on 2 November. Festivities included the ship’s official naming ceremony led by her inspiring Godmother, Reshma Saujani, the founder of groundbreaking non-profit Girls Who Code and author of bestseller, “Brave, Not Perfect.”
Celebrity Apex’s arrival to US ports is a landmark moment for the brand, as the vessel’s launch was originally planned for late March 2020. Following a short run of Greek Island sailings earlier this summer, the ship now embarks for the first time from US shores on rotating Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries, where guests will visit the picturesque islands of Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Belize, Grand Caymans and more.
“We are elated to welcome Celebrity Apex to our family of magnificent vessels that push the boundaries of what’s possible on a cruise ship,” said Richard Fain, chairman and CEO, Royal Caribbean Group. “As we welcome guests back to the seas aboard the newest Edge class ship, we are excited to deliver the very best vacation experience that is the hallmark of every Celebrity cruise.”
“Celebrating Celebrity Apex is certainly long overdue and it’s a day I have been waiting to celebrate for quite a long time – 581 days, to be exact. This stunning ship truly represents a new standard in new-luxury travel, and we can’t wait for our guests to finally experience it for themselves,” said Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo. “As we say in our new brand campaign, we know guests will not only, ‘Journey WonderFULL,’ aboard this beautiful ship, but that she will also be the industry’s most talked about new ship.”
Joining the executives on stage, and in keeping with nautical tradition, Reshma Saujani officially named Celebrity Apex on board the ship in a special ceremony.
The Apex of New Luxury at Sea
Like her sister ship, Celebrity Edge, named one of Time Magazine’s “2019 World’s Greatest Places,” Celebrity Apex features innovative outward-facing design and “visionary spaces” from world-renowned designers, connecting guests to the “breathtaking world around them like never before”. The ship’s onboard experience includes:
– The Retreat with its suite accommodations, a private restaurant, and an exclusive lounge and sundeck “to rival any high-end resort”. In addition, a dedicated team of Personal Retreat Hosts on-hand 24/7, ensures everything is taken care of while on vacation.
– Transformational accommodations, from modern two-story villas with plunge pools to staterooms with infinite verandas, that blur the boundaries between indoor and outdoor living.
– The Magic Carpet, soaring cantilevered above the sea and offering guests uninterrupted vistas while sipping cocktails or having dinner.
– A curated collection of 29 culinary venues including the brand-new Craft Social Bar, offering 40 handcrafted boutique beer selections, creative cocktails and a wide selection of a la carte, gourmet comfort food and bar bites. Globally-inspired menus, crafted by Michelin-starred chefs bring the flavours of the world straight to the plate, providing an epicurean journey unmatched at sea.
– 650 sq m of retail offerings featuring such renowned luxury stand-alone boutiques as Bvlgari, Cartier and a Montblanc lifestyle boutique.
– First-at-sea F45 classes, along with Peloton bikes, and “Women in Wellness” onboard content and experiences from some of the most influential female leaders in wellness augment well-being offerings throughout the ship.
Naming Celebrity Apex
Reshma Saujani follows Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai, the first Edge Series Godmother, who inaugurated Celebrity Edge in November 2018, and is renowned for her advocacy of educational opportunities for girls everywhere. Saujani also represents women breaking ground, having led the charge to provide opportunities for women in the traditionally male-dominated tech field.
“I can’t think of anyone better to serve as Godmother for this ship than the incredible Reshma Saujani,” continued Lutoff-Perlo. “Reshma is a visionary, leading the charge to challenge stereotypes and inspire a whole new generation of girls and women to bravely pursue tech jobs; just as Celebrity is working to close the gender gap at sea, growing our percentage of women serving as bridge officers to 30% in an industry where the average is 2%. It is Reshma’s game-changing spirit that makes her the perfect Godmother for a game-changing ship like Celebrity Apex.”
“It’s both thrilling and humbling to serve as the Godmother of Celebrity Apex,” said Saujani. “Similar to the mission of Girls Who Code, which is centred around closing the gender gap in tech, Celebrity is leading the way to create a more diverse future in the cruise industry. The brand’s commitment to the cause is clear not only through the leadership of its President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, but in its incorporation of on-board STEM programming. I can’t think of a more inspiring place to learn about the wonders of the maritime industry than on board Celebrity Apex and Girls Who Code is honoured to help in this effort.”
Every Luxury Covered
Simplifying the luxury vacation experience, WiFi, drinks and service charges are now “Always Included” on every Celebrity cruise.