Miches redefines luxury tourism in Dominican Republic
Visitors to the bustling ITB stand of the Dominican Republic can discover several new hotel developments in Miches, on the island’s east coast. Indeed, Miches is an emerging destination for luxury beach tourism with strict sustainability principles. The destination plans to open 3,000 new hotel rooms by 2024.
Given its wide variety of natural resources, Miches has quickly established itself as one of the Dominican Republic’s hottest tourist attractions, with many luxury hotels and resorts and great potential for attracting international tourists. Miches boasts more than 25 km of attractive beaches, as well as coves, mangroves, coconut palms, mountains, rivers, waterfalls, caves and tropical forests, a symbol of the region’s pristine natural beauty.
It benefits from a strategic position, between the Bay of Samaná and renowned beaches of Punta Cana, Bávaro and Macao, offering visitors premium access to the country’s natural beauty. With direct links to two international airports and first class highways, a number of important groups have settled in the area to encourage the development of tourism infrastructure. Under the name Promiches, the development project comprises seven hotel and real estate projects over the next 3 years, totalling more than 3,000 hotel rooms and over 1,600 residential units.
The following hotels are part of Promiches:
- The Club Med Playa Esmeralda, Exclusive Collection range, an eco-certified resort in the middle of unspoilt nature. is the very first Club Med Resort with its 4 distinct “boutique villages”. It opened in November 2019 with a capacity of t 335 rooms and bungalows.
- Opened in October 2022, the 2 Temptation Miches Resorts are part of the Original Groups. Temptation Miches Resort 382-room resort is adults-only while Temptation Grand Miches Resort has 114 beachfront rooms and suites targeting honeymoon and romance travellers.
- AMResorts Secrets Playa Esmeralda Punta Cana and Dreams Playa Esmeralda Punta Cana are two luxury resorts which will encompass nearly 1,500 hotel units, as well as a shared promenade with a theatre, a spa, restaurants, shops and a conference centre. It is due to open this year.
- Grupo Puntacana, one of the Dominican Republic’s leading hospitality firms, has an ambitious plan to build a 500-room resort in Miches. The resort investment is estimated at US$150 million dollars.
- The new Viva Wyndham Miches Resort is set to open in 2023 with 486 family-friendly rooms. It will be followed at a later stage by the addition of 264 adults-only rooms
Coupled with innovative business management, Miches represents an excellent opportunity for the development of a sustainable, environmentally responsible and socially inclusive luxury tourism model. Investors have estimated that the Miches area could grow by around another 4,000 to 5,000 hotel rooms.