Launching the Bachelor of Science in International Sustainable Tourism
UNWTO and HSLU Unite for a Unique Degree Programme
In an unprecedented collaboration, the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts (HSLU) and the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) have joined forces to introduce the Bachelor of Science in International Sustainable Tourism. This groundbreaking study programme marks the first time that UNWTO actively participates in an undergraduate curriculum, forging a promising alliance that emphasizes shared value creation. By enrolling in this exceptional programme, students will have the opportunity to benefit from HSLU’s renowned expertise in high-quality education and graduate with a degree from a prestigious Swiss public university.
Pursuing Sustainable Development Goals in International Tourism
The primary objective of the International Sustainable Tourism degree programme is to embrace the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals and make a resolute commitment to the long-term growth and sustainability of the tourism industry. The vision shared by HSLU and UNWTO is to create an inclusive programme that empowers a future-oriented transformation of the entire tourism sector. By targeting students from around the globe, with teaching conducted in Madrid (Spain), Lucerne (Switzerland), and online, the programme ensures international diversity. With its versatile content, comprehensive case studies, expert perspectives from the industry, and practical scenarios utilizing the UNWTO Member States network, students can maximize their career prospects in the international tourism arena.
A Multilayered Learning Journey
The programme’s structure revolves around three distinct locations, offering a dynamic and enriching educational experience for students:
Campus Madrid (1st & 2nd semester): The first two semesters take place in the vibrant capital of Spain, where the UNWTO headquarters are located. This proximity enables direct integration, allowing UNWTO representatives to contribute to the programme and impart their expertise to students.
Online (3rd semester): The second year, especially the third semester, offers flexibility by providing online education. Students have the freedom to return home, remain in Madrid, or explore new destinations during this period. The teaching methodology is designed to facilitate remote participation from anywhere in the world, with group and individual lessons conducted online.
Worldwide Internship (4th semester): The fourth semester presents an invaluable opportunity for students to gain practical experience in the tourism industry worldwide. This internship allows students to deepen their intercultural skills and immerse themselves in the professional world of tourism. Accompanied by online sessions, the internship can be completed anywhere across the globe.
Campus Lucerne (5th & 6th semester): For the final year of the programme, students will converge on HSLU’s campus in Lucerne, Switzerland. Nestled amidst the picturesque Swiss Alps, the charming city of Lucerne offers students the advantages of a leading tourism country and the modern infrastructure of a forward-thinking university.
A Journey towards Global Excellence
The Bachelor of Science in International Sustainable Tourism programme offers several compelling highlights that set it apart:
- UNWTO’s Active Involvement: UNWTO’s direct participation in the programme’s development and execution distinguishes it as the only degree programme of its kind.
- Global Recognition: Students graduate with a prestigious Swiss degree while gaining invaluable intercultural experiences in Spain and beyond.
- Strong Practical Orientation: The curriculum emphasizes hands-on learning through internships, guest lectures, and projects within an extensive tourism network. This unique fusion of academic and practical knowledge equips students with the skills necessary to thrive in the industry.
- Sustainability and Innovation: Sustainability and innovation are woven into the fabric of the entire curriculum, ensuring graduates are equipped to address the evolving challenges and opportunities in sustainable tourism.
- Expanding Global Network: The collaboration between HSLU and UNWTO opens doors to a vast global partner network, offering students unparalleled opportunities for professional growth and collaboration.
- Intercultural Experiences: International classes, diverse teaching perspectives, and changing study locations guarantee students enriching intercultural experiences throughout their academic journey.
- Flexibility of Remote Learning: The remote semester provides the flexibility desired by students in today’s world, allowing them to balance their studies with personal commitments.
Aspiring students can embark on this transformative academic journey, forging a path towards global excellence in sustainable tourism. The application period for the inaugural intake spans from Spring 2023 to Spring 2024, with the academic year commencing on 9th September 2024. The programme promises an orientation week in Madrid, followed by a comprehensive academic semester, enabling students to embark on an extraordinary educational adventure.